Wednesday, April 13, 2011

cleansing, cleaning, cooking

I just realised the work both 'cleansing' and 'cleaning' share the same prefix..... I now completely understand why, as today me and my sister took on the insurmountable task of cleaning the apartment. 5 hours later and both me and the apartment look and feel brand new! The smell of vanilla ambi pur is in the air and I truly believe I could take on the world, just knowing I have a beautiful smelling home to come back to when my plans fall apart.

A thought struck me last night. Today is the only day in all of history that it's ever going to be the 13th of April, 2011. Does anyone else find that sad? I guess you really have to live every day to the full, although I'm the first to admit I don't....

Now that the house is clean, the only thing left to do is bake..... This is a recipe for an apple cake with creme anglaise. It's absolutely scrumptious.

Apple Cake with Creme Anglaise:
(Serves 6-8, or in my case, 1)

Ingredients:
For the cake:

  • 220g caster sugar
  • 150g cream cheese
  • 1 large egg and 3 egg whites
  • 2 tbsp thickened cream
  • 1.5 cups self-raising flour
  • 2 dessert (not green) apples, peeled and sliced
For the creme anglaise:
  • 3 tbsp caster sugar
  • 250 ml milk
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius 
  2. Put the sugar, butter and cheese into the bow of an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Reduce the speed and add the egg, then the egg whites. 
  3. Turn off the machine and remove the bowl and stir in the cream and then fold in the flour to make a smooth paste. Fold in the apple slices. 
  4. Pour into a greased 23 spring-form tin and cook for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. 
  5. Make the creme anglaise by whisking the sugar, milk and vanilla essence well. Cook in the microwave on high for 2 mins. Remove and whisk, then cook for another minute. 
  6. Whisk again - by now you should be able to see some bubbling around the side of the container - whisk well and return to the microwave. Cook at 30 second intervals until the sauce has thickened and repeat until done. This sauce does not go really thick. Stir to cool.
  7. Remove the cake from the tin after it has cooled in it for 5 minutes. Slice and serve with the creme anglaise poured over. 
Hope you try and enjoy 
XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment