Monday, April 25, 2011

easter delights

Easter is upon us and we all know that means chocolate. Surprisingly, this year, I've given up the dreamy pleasure and opted for other sweet treats like my apple cake and strudel. I made the latter for a staff easter party I had last week and it was my first time. It was a random choice, I'll admit, but my boss is Czech and I decided to make her something from home. I firmly believe that filo pastry has a vengeance against me, and after I failed to tame it, I put my strudel together by gluing randoms bits of pastry together with melted butter. Luckily it still tasted fantastic, and all but one slice was left after everyone ate it and took some home. This is the recipe. I saw it on Food Safari and even though it's not a classic apple strudel, it's just as delicious. 


"Nan's cherry cream-cheese strudel"
Ingredients:
125g full fat ricotta 
125g cream cheese, at room temperature 
3 tbsp caster sugar 
1 tsp vanilla extract 
1 egg 
5 sheets filo pastry 
80g clarified butter, melted 
2 tbsp packaged dry breadcrumbs 
680g jar morello cherries, drained 
1 tbsp flaked almonds, toasted 
Pure icing sugar, to serve


Method:
If time allows place the ricotta into a nylon sieve over a bowl. Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours.

Preheat oven 200°C (fan forced). Line a baking tray with baking paper. Combine the ricotta, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with electric mixer. Beat until smooth and creamy. Add egg and beat well.

Place 1 sheet filo onto clean work surface. Brush with melted butter, top with a second sheet, brush with butter and repeat layering filo so you have 5 layers.

Sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the filo. Spoon cream cheese mixture along 1 long edge, leaving a small border. Top with cherries and sprinkle with almonds. Fold the ends in and roll up to secure filling, brushing exposed edges to ensure they stick.

Brush strudel all over with remaining clarified butter.

Place onto prepared tray and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 180°C and bake a further 5 minutes until pastry is crisp and deep golden.

Allow to stand 30 minutes to cool. Dust heavily with icing sugar and serve.



I have recently become a bit of a fan of River Cottage, the t.v series which follows Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall who's philosophy is "getting back to basics". It has inspired me to one day buy a farm where I'll be able to grow my own vegetables and raise my own livestock. Check it out if you have the chance. 




XXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment